One of the things I like about this site is that it offers ratings. UTR does not work well at all for adult rec tennis since it only includes games of the last 12 months and it has a cap and floor which causes other problems. USTA does not publish people's full rating so what we get from them is so vague it is almost useless.
I have a few questions about the GTN rating system:
1) does it matter what rating you initially claim you are, or will the algorithm assign a rating based on your actual play regardless of what you say at first? In other words if I say I am a 2.5 before I play my first 5 matches will I end up with a lower rating than if I say I am a 4.0 before my first 5 matches even if I get exactly the same results?
2) Does the rating system take into account the number of games won or lost or just whether the entire match was won or lost?
3) Does the "ladder ELO" system take into account the number of games won or lost or just whether the entire match was won or lost?
4) I believe a rating system can be judged based on how well it predicts outcomes. What are the predicted outcomes based on ratings in your system. For example is the predicted outcome that someone that is .2 better than another player would win 12 games and only lose 7 in 2 sets? So that if he loses more than 7 games he will lose rating points and his opponent will win rating points. Can you say what the predicted outcomes are?
5) Is there a cap and a floor to your rating system? If so what are they?